MKSK Holds Inaugural Design Summit
MKSK held its inaugural Design Summit, an event centered around knowledge-sharing, design thinking, and team-building.
David Van Der Leer, Director of the Van Alen Institute in New York City, presented the keynote address. In his talk, David introduced the Van Alen Institute – a century-old non-profit organization dedicated to improving design in the public realm – and described how the Van Alen Institute promotes collaboration between practitioners, policymakers, students, educators, and community leaders. David spoke of his experience with the Van Alen Institute and as Associate Curator of Architecture and Urban Studies at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. He led MKSK staff in an exciting conversation about technology, public engagement, interdisciplinary collaboration, and leadership in public space design.
The Design Summit brought together industry professionals with MKSK staff-led workshops and presentations that centered around the themes of technology, design communication, sustainability and leadership.
- Autonomous Vehicles – Chris Hermann, AICP, MKSK Principal
- Indiana Studio Projects – Aaron Kowalski, AICP, MKSK Planner & Brett Davis, PLA, ASLA, MKSK Associate
- Design Communication – Justin Goodwin, AICP, MKSK Associate; Arin Blair, MKSK Planner & Karen Lewis, Associate Professor, The Ohio Sate University
- Smart Cities – Joe Nickol, AICP, LEED AP, MKSK Senior Associate & Mandy Bishop, Smart Columbus Program Manager
- Resiliency in Design – Jessica Wendlandt, PLA, ASLA, MKSK, Landscape Architect; Matt Kellogg, PLA, ASLA, MKSK Landscape Architect & Donny Zellefrow, MKSK Designer
More than 60 planners, landscape architects, designers and administration from the seven MKSK office locations gathered for the all-day Design Summit at the Columbus Idea Foundry in the Columbus, Ohio historic Franklinton neighborhood.